For the first time, Opp held a free downtown Halloween party for the kids. It was cold and getting dark by the time we made it there so I wasn't sure how long we would hold out. There were booths set up that had a few games and were giving out candy. There were
A LOT of people and not enough bounce house supervision if you get my drift. So we wandered around for a little while and then heard the announcement for the costume contest. Now I think my kids are cute and I know their costumes were, so I made up my mind that they would participate. We stood around as they handed out the official entry forms (hastily scrawled numbers on a post-it) and waited. Finley was in the 4-7 year old group and Chloe was in the 0-3 year old group. TeeTee was apparently coaching Finley on how to act during the competition.
Ever seen Toddlers and Tiaras? It was like a kid's beauty pageant on speed. Now Finn loves to put on shows and had barked and growled all week when she was Spot but her behavior this night takes the cake, and the trophy too. So, the oldest group was first and it was a very laid back judging format. Everybody lined up, they picked a top 3, and then the next group went. When Finley got up there, she turned it on. She growled, she barked, and she turned around and wagged her tail.


The crowd went nuts and it only egged her on. I was laughing so hard I could barely take the pictures. Needless, to say she made it to the top 3. Then it was time for Chloe's group. Chloe did not take my coaching seriously and stood like this.

She did not make eye contact with the judges, showed very little personality, and really was above being judged. She knows she is cute. Had she done her "fooky fider" routine where she wiggles her fingers and says "Boo!", we might have two champions in the house. They announced the top 3 and Chloe didn't even place, much less win Grand Supreme. At this point all my hope was on Finn. I was so happy for her when her number was called. She received an expensive gold
plated trophy and had her picture in the paper this week. Next year I am sure the competition will be even fiercer, so I need to start planning now. What should they be?
No comments:
Post a Comment